Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Gowing up Vandergirl...And the blowdryer.

So...I thought it would be fun to share a glimpse of what it was like to grow up with a house full of girls.  I have stories upon stories with each of my sisters!  However, Sara and I use to brawl.  Literally, brawl- like boys.  She was definitely a tom-boy for a while and I was sort of one...so I guess it fit our personalities to throw down every once in a while.
Anyway, One night we were getting ready (we always did this in towels or in the buff...not sure why, but we did) she did her ever-so-famous button pushing with me.  She launched a pillow at me while I was curling my eyelashes...seriously...owe.  Out came a chunk of my eyelashes and fire quickly filled my eyes...in an instant I was on the attack.  Somehow, she weaseled her way into the bathroom where she slammed and locked the door...her life would be spared, or at least temporarily.  I cannot adequately express in words how angry I was at this point.  Not only was I missing a good portion of my eyelashes, I could not even make her pay.  My evil, devising mind came up with a plan of action...beat the door down?!  No, Dad would kill me.  Wait until she got up the nerve to come out?  No, I would loose my anger and not give her the whooping she deserved.  Cry?!  Yes, that might work, but I would have to be convincing.
I began crying and told her I was bleeding and I needed to get into the bathroom.  She was suspicious but she wasn't cruel.  So, after a little more convincing through fake tears... the lock turned and I was in!  I lunged at her and took her down to the ground.  I grabbed the nearest thing I could find to wallop her with...my eye caught the blow dryer and instantly it was in my hand and I was making her pay.  She was screaming for mercy and mercy I did not show.  UNTIL...Dad (Dad?!) came to her rescue.  Dad pulled our naked bodies off of each other and Sara was saved.  You would think we would have been embarrassed...standing their nude as he quickly exited and scolded us on his way back downstairs...I guess revenge and anger had overtaken us and being naked was the least of our concerns.  What a sight for our poor father...I bet he might have secretly wished we were boys in that moment! :)
It is crazy to think that we use to have moments like this growing up (more often than not). Somehow we would end the night cuddled in the same bed occasionally kicking each other but mostly talking and laughing.  We really, genuinely loved each other...despite our physical and verbal fights.  I think they actually made us grow closer together.  Today, we all (meaning all 4 of us) can be brutally honest with each other without hating each other.  We GENUINELY share in each others hurts and joyous moments.  We aren't jealous of each other and want world for each other!  We are each others besties!
***So...the moral of the story is...beating the crap out of each other ensures a friendship that runs deeper than the sea!  HE HA!!!
Here are some photos of Sara and I as youngins!
My Mom always had all 4 of us matching on Sundays!

We were quite the softball players!

I am pretty sure this was for a junior high school dance!

One shouldered dresses!



No comments:

Post a Comment