Monday, July 9, 2012

Book Love

I love reading great books but hate wasting time on books that are just "so-so". I heard about the book "Divergent" by Veronica Roth from a blog I follow. The blogger compared it to being as good as "Hunger Games", so I knew I must give it a go. On a side note, I loooove Hunger Games. Like re-read it, love it.  Anyways, the past 7-8 days in Iowa have been scorching hot, like above 100* hot. It had me in a funk, but gave me a good excuse to stay inside and read Divergent.


This book was great. It's the first in a trilogy series.  It is set in a post-Apocolyptic war Chicago where society is divided into 5 factions. The factions all represent a trait/characteristic that was meant to be kept and maintained to have a "balanced" and peaceful society that would not war and create major destruction.  The five factions are Abnegation (promotes and maintains unselfishness), Dauntless (promotes and maintains fearlessness, bravery and heroism), Erudite (promotes and maintains knowledge and constant pursuit of new knowledge), Amity (promotes and maintains Peacefullness), and Candor (promotes and maintains honesty). 

The book follows a 16 year old girl named Beatrice Prior. She grows up in the Abnegation faction. At 16, you choose which faction you want to be in, which is completely your decision, but you are given a test that tells you the faction that suits you best.  Will she change factions?? You must read to f ind out! haha, like that cliffhanger?  Anyways, I won't blab on about the rest, but you should read it. Its really good! I started reading the second in the series; its called Insurgent.

Here's a really good website if you want to get good, honest reviews before you buy a new book: http://www.goodreads.com/.  The site lets you rank and rate books you have read, gives you suggestions of books it would like based on the rankings you assign books, and you can read reader reviews of a variety of books. I like it and have found a couple books from the site.

Anyways, hope everyone had a good and happy Fourth of July!

Sara

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to start reading this book!! Thanks for the suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete